Sunday, February 27, 2011

Steps to spend your money wisely

Step #3: Have a ‘this’-and-‘that’ face off.

This really is a simple exercise. It has been observed that hindsight is 20/20 so go ahead and use that clear vision of the past to guide your future spending. Take a few items in your home and place them side by side and ask, “Right now which item am I happier that I purchased?” Your answer will help guide your future spending.
Sample A: Luggage

These two pictures of luggage have the same purpose – they help haul my useless junk around the world. So far both of these items have accomplished the task with equal effectiveness. Any time my junk does not arrive it is typically the fault of an airline, not the luggage itself. There is one significant difference – cost. The two bags in Exhibit A cost about $85 and the cost for Exhibit B was $5. Using my 20/20 perspective I now know what a complete and absolute waste of money to pay $85 for something I can find for $5 at any used clothing store in America. As a result, I have now decided that I’ll buy all my luggage second hand.
Sample B: The Vacation and the Fridge

You will notice that my fridge (which has only been used for less than three years) is rusting. I’m finding that the type of a fridge does little to contribute to my spending satisfaction. In the future I am going to think about functionality without any fancy bells and whistles.

I have a whole slew of vacation pictures I enjoy looking at. Those great memories grow year after year. Vacations always provide some special family times. As a result, I enjoy spending money on vacations because I feel like they contribute something to my life’s satisfaction.

No comments:

Build A Semi-Passive Income on the Internet that You and Your Family Can Enjoy

Popular Posts